Industry Analysts Discover RFID
I don't need no stinkin' argument with all-powerful, all-knowing industry analysts. Let me acknolwedge this right up front: they're always right, I'm always wrong and if you don't believe me, just ask them.
That being said, this is April, 2006, am I right? It's not 1996. If that's true, then doesn't this sound a little like predicting the future and claiming a new trend by looking in the rear view mirror?
Using a foundation of sensors and wireless networks, the Extended Internet (what Forrester's calls the "X Internet") connects physical things like assets, products, and even people to the Internet and IT systems. With improved information on the identity and condition of these things, the X Internet allows firms to better service customers, offer new products, differentiate against competitors, improve efficiencies, and comply with new regulations and mandates. What are some of the technologies included? Radio frequency identification (RFID) tags are used to pinpoint product location; wireless mesh sensors can detect and send condition information like temperature; and biometrics help to identify trusted individuals. These technologies increase the Internet's impact. As today's primarily human-connected Net moves to an object-connected Net, it will finally provide real-world insight that will transform business operations. [underscore added for emphasis here]
That will?
One last point. The naming thing. I guess if you give something a name, people forever associate you with the discovery, and never mind if you're the first to see something or not. Take that fellow de Gama. He wanders around, spies an ocean, calls it The Pacific and he, rather than the mighty ocean, grabs the spotlight. Was he the first guy atop that hill? Nope. Columbus wasn't the first guy to vacation in Florida either.
I came to work today, discovered York, Maine, and I've named it Labelville. Like it?
That being said, this is April, 2006, am I right? It's not 1996. If that's true, then doesn't this sound a little like predicting the future and claiming a new trend by looking in the rear view mirror?
Using a foundation of sensors and wireless networks, the Extended Internet (what Forrester's calls the "X Internet") connects physical things like assets, products, and even people to the Internet and IT systems. With improved information on the identity and condition of these things, the X Internet allows firms to better service customers, offer new products, differentiate against competitors, improve efficiencies, and comply with new regulations and mandates. What are some of the technologies included? Radio frequency identification (RFID) tags are used to pinpoint product location; wireless mesh sensors can detect and send condition information like temperature; and biometrics help to identify trusted individuals. These technologies increase the Internet's impact. As today's primarily human-connected Net moves to an object-connected Net, it will finally provide real-world insight that will transform business operations. [underscore added for emphasis here]
That will?
One last point. The naming thing. I guess if you give something a name, people forever associate you with the discovery, and never mind if you're the first to see something or not. Take that fellow de Gama. He wanders around, spies an ocean, calls it The Pacific and he, rather than the mighty ocean, grabs the spotlight. Was he the first guy atop that hill? Nope. Columbus wasn't the first guy to vacation in Florida either.
I came to work today, discovered York, Maine, and I've named it Labelville. Like it?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home