Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Still Crazy After All These Years?


Is it me, or does this writer John Longenecker need a serious check up from the neck up?

All of us in and around the RFID industry ought to seriously take stock of just how wild and whacky this flowering anti-RFIDism could get... has gotten?

Yesterday I posted a benign article about some guy's view that we should give RFID a chance. Seemed reasonable. Now here, from something called The American Daily comes Longenecker's view of why that sentiment is, well, un-American. After making some weird analogy about RFID and dating and making some point that no means no, he writes, among other things:

The RFID Industry needs to prove to us that it keeps its word when it says that it will not push RFID on Americans without our approval. Not with Congress’s approval, or anybody else’s, but our approval. And right now, the industry’s doing a pretty lousy job of keeping its word.To say that it is coming whether we like it or not betrays their true agenda.

By the way... I seem to have misplaced my agenda... If you have an extra copy could you send it my way?

This is the threat of RFID in its purest form; ramming it down our throats, no matter what we say or do. As I write often, the indifference to our way of life is a hostility to our way of life.RFID’s attitude is conclusive proof that it is the threat we always thought it would be. If it even comes at all, it’s what we feared.

In my view, this sort of whatever it is --logic? -- could be used to, let's say, protest safety caps on medications and toxic chemicals under the sink. I guess some people can hate technology so much for no reason at all that their hatefulness leads them to protest even the things they don't understand and that might actually streamline their lives. It just sounds like it must be so exhausting to be this hepped up about something like this.

I'm sure John would say that just because a person is paranoid doesn't mean people aren't following him. No, it doesn't. But at the same time, just because a person is paranoid doesn't mean he's got all his cupcakes in the pan either. Could go either way. That's why one of us, in the going, probably ought to amble over here to the couch and have a conversation with the good doctor, yes?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My life is aerodynamic enough already. Thanks, dude, but no, thanks. (Yeah, I get it, RFID is coming regardless of whether I say no or not, which was Longeneckers point)

Tuesday, April 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home