Friday, March 03, 2006

Oh Yes, We Have No Bananas...


Tons of news still being reported about events and comments at the RFID World show in Texas this week. Here's one, about bananas, from a top banana in the retail world of companies promoting RFID: Wal-Mart. They want to combine RFID with sensor technology to make sure their bananas arrive at the perfect time - and at the perfect ripeness.

I got to believe it's cheaper to throw them out when they inevitably go bad... but the big WM is obviously doing this with an eye toward its entire stock of perishables, yes? Meanwhile, isn't a banana that's a little long in the tooth a taste treat once in a while... on ice cream that's all melty because the sensor in your freezer is on the fritz? But I digress...

"Think about bananas," said Carolyn Walton, Wal-Mart's vice president of IT, during at panel discussion at RFID World 2006 Wednesday. "I'll bet you didn't know what happens along that journey."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home