Huh?

I hate this sort of stuff. I went to college for crying out loud. I've walked the planet a long time. Been everywhere. So it bugs me -- maybe it bugs you, too -- when you read something that just doesn't make sense. The words are real, but they are strung togther to make nonsense, you know? Like this sentence:
Exchange engages in cross border, person-to person, trade negotiations. It offers artistic resistance to international economic agreements such as the North American Free Trade Agreement... Surveillance: Exchange critiques and exposes Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology.
I repeat: Huh? Exposes RFID? "...artistic resistance...? What?
OK, I drilled down. The artist we're talking about is Nancy Nisbet. Years ago, our Nancy porobably would have been confined to an institution where she wouldn't be a danger to herself or others. These days I guess, anything goes? Indulge me whilst I entertain you to TWO paragraphs from her bio:
As part of the art project itself, Nancy will consciously place herself outside of the expected private/commercial categories with respect to international border crossings. Her Exchange performances create friction surrounding international trade agreements, surveillance and national security. Participants must reconsider negotiation and exchange based outside of the standard economic model. There is no need for economic parity between traded items. Sharing of personal stories and experiences and the development of community and solidarity are the currency of Exchange.
Previous artworks include Crude Events, Pop! Goes the Weasel and After/noon Tea. In Crude Events Nancy donned a mask and stormed a gallery with a paint-ball gun to shoot paint onto canvases in a reflection of the price of crude oil during the 2002 build up to the War in Iraq. For Pop! Goes the Weasel Nancy created a video of the surgical implantation of her hands with RFID microchips as part of a larger installation that used RFID badges to track visitors’ positions in a gallery space. After/noon Tea was a performance and installation that created community through the taking of tea. Each week for six months Nancy dropped large hand-made tea bags, hot and dripping, onto table-cloths in the preparation of tea to give to passers-by. The tablecloths were then hand-sewn together in a reflection of the labour and active process of community building.
Dirty tablecloths to relect the active process of community building? Errr, ok, ya... I get it? Nah, I don't get it. Do you?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home