'Spime and Arphids': Artists Loving RFID Worldwide

Here's a refreshing change. While privacy rights groups continue to yell about how our every move is going to be tracked by corrupt organizations -- why, I still don't know -- artists around the world are experimenting with RFID and enjoying it.
...RFID technology has recently become a medium for artists like Meghan Trainor, whose work offers a glimpse of a future in which computers will be able to scan any item and know something about it. She sculpts objects out of plaster, rubber and other materials, and embeds them with RFID chips and tags.
That's a short excerpt from this long article in Wired News about this emerging trend among artists. They are even inventing some new words for the RFID industry:
Trainor calls her sculptures, which resemble items that might be found in a shipwreck, "spime." ... because the objects can be tracked through space and time. ( [a]nickname for RFID chips and tags, "arphids," has also taken root in the artists' lexicon.)
Per the article, spime and arphids are the invention of Bruce Sterling, who has laid out on his blog and in class at the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, California, a future world in which every manufactured item on earth has its own unique identity.
Well, there you go. I don't know art, but I know what I like.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home