Bless Tom from Ohio. He Tells The Paranoid To Get A Clue

This subcutaneous/chip injection story is getting news legs worldwide. People are getting hysterical. But alas, I found a blog where the subject came up-- again -- and I found a reader comment on that blog that says it all and which I want to share. First, here's the blog so you can visit it yourself. Just click here. Here's what was written there (and you'll find it fairly typical of the average person's (mis)understanding of RFID).
RFID advances and programs caused me to wonder if subcutaneous RFID was far off. Although I see the value in recent examples of RFID or GPS tagging for baby and child tracking and for terrorist and criminal surveillance, I wondered where we would draw the line.
Now to my favorite part: Tom from Ohio. Here's his response:
Most privacy groups and others worried about "tracking" with subcutaneous RFID haven't got a clue on how the technology works. You're not going to "track" criminals or lost children or anyone else for that matter. Current state of the technology requires that readers be within inches of the RFID tag. The most widely used form right now is the tags used to identify lost pets. You can't track them when they are lost, but if they are found and returned to a shelter or vet, the tag can be read to identify the owner.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home